Senior Mechanical Engineer
What Vista Does
Vista Projects is an integrated industrial engineering firm that helps clients navigate the digital transformation of their projects and operations. Our proven project execution process is based on a “single source of truth” model that eliminates the potential for inefficient engineering designs, cost overruns and project completion delays.
Why We Do It
We believe the world needs industrial projects and that intelligent engineering data can increase the likelihood of innovative solutions getting to market. Over the years, we have earned our reputation as a trusted industrial engineering partner, working on some of the most successful facility projects in the Canadian energy sector.
Where We Work
The benefits of our approach apply across several industrial markets, from biofuels and produced water treatment to gas processing and in-situ heavy oil. Our headquarters are in Calgary, Alberta.
What You Would Do in This Role
Reporting to the discipline lead, the engineer will participate in the design of different aspects of oil and gas projects from inception to completion. Your mechanical engineering duties will include:
- Providing comprehensive design services by establishing design criteria and preparing of specifications, design computations, drawings, models and bills of material in accordance with basic project requirements
- Participating in the design of component parts and individual units
- Exercising cost/budget control, reviewing and monitoring designs for conformance with control estimates and project specifications
- Reviewing and maintaining project schedules, and tracking engineering tasks and deliverables in conjunction with project management
- Participating in design reviews and HAZOPs
- Providing technical guidance to junior staff
- Reviewing vendor or subcontractor quotations, drawings and specifications for technical adequacy and conformance with project requirements
- Applying engineering techniques and analyses to solving engineering tasks
- Adhering to Vista Quality Management System (QMS)
- Ensuring design is in accordance with applicable codes and requirements, including Vista and client specifications and standards
- Reviewing the work of others
- Being an active steward of change management as related to their specific scopes of work
- Preparing or assisting in the preparation of discipline inputs for cost estimates for proposals
- Authenticating documentation with a professional engineering stamp as required
- Performing other duties as requested
- Apply working knowledge of most types of equipment with specialized knowledge in one or more equipment types
- Prepare equipment specifications and data sheets for equipment and packages
- Prepare material requisitions and technical bid evaluations for equipment and packages
- Prepare equipment list
- Provide fabrication/technical support to vendors for equipment and packages
- Review equipment drawings, P&IDs, and general arrangement drawings from a mechanical standpoint
- Prepare engineering work packages
- Prepare designs and specifications for mechanical systems and materials
- Contribute to technical selection, sizing, and evaluation of equipment
- Four (4) to ten (10) years of progressive experience in facilities engineering and design in the oil and gas industry
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in engineering or applied science.
- Ability to work and collaborate within a multi-disciplinary team including process, mechanical, civil, structural & architectural, electrical, instrumentation & controls and piping engineers and designers as well as project management and procurement
- P.Eng. registration with APEGA
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, technical competence and attention to detail
- Self-motivated and efficient with time management
- Familiarity of applicable codes and industry standards
- Ability to meet safety requirements to attend site visits
- Two (2) to four (4) years of experience as a fully qualified engineer, ideally with experience in thermal heavy oil
Why People Like Working with Us
Working with Vista is a chance to contribute to the type of challenging industrial projects that the world requires. If that doesn’t excite you, this role likely won’t be a fit.
Challenging projects require focus and we enable our people to do their best work with modernized project systems that are based on our leading use of intelligent data-centric execution architecture. Our staff and clients like it because it gives them real-time access to validated data shared across all project departments. This fosters project design and business decisions based on a single, authoritative source of truth and provides increased transparency and collaboration with team members and clients, leading to improved engineering quality and a product we can all take pride in.
What We Offer
An opportunity with Vista is not just a job; it is a chance to tackle challenging industrial projects with colleagues who are among the most recognized and accomplished in their disciplines.
Vista offers all employees
- A stimulating, fast-paced and challenging work environment where you will contribute to the interesting industrial engineering projects;
- A robust and consistent recruitment process that ensures your colleagues are likeminded and comparably capable;
- An opportunity to be a part of an entrepreneurial, technically skilled team which has established leadership in innovative engineering solutions;
- A strong value-based philosophy that provides an informal, close-knit team environment, where you and your family feel like a part of our organization, and not just an employee number;
- Competitive compensation and benefits, including a performance-linked variable pay program;
- Company-sponsored social events and team sports;
- Flexible work schedules, half-day Fridays and free parking;
- An organization that values and encourages diversity;
- Shareholder opportunities are a long-term potential for exceptional employees.
How to Apply