What Vista Does
Vista Projects is an integrated industrial engineering firm that helps clients navigate the digital transformation of their projects and operations. Our proven project execution process is based on a “single source of truth” model that eliminates the potential for inefficient engineering designs, cost overruns and project completion delays.
Why We Do It
We believe the world needs industrial projects and that intelligent engineering data can increase the likelihood of innovative solutions getting to market. Over the years, our multi-discipline teams have conceptualized and designed some of the most challenging and successful industrial processing projects in the North American energy sector. Vista has established itself as a trusted industrial engineering partner for all types of projects, from conceptual studies and pilots to large-scale commercial expansions.
Where We Work
The benefits of our approach apply to new asset developments and brownfield optimization projects across several industrial markets. This includes biofuels and produced water treatment to natural gas and petrochemical processing. While we are headquartered in Calgary and maintain a satellite office in Houston, most staff elect to telecommute.
What You Would Do in This Role
The Engineer-In-Training completes practical training in various phases of project-based engineering work. The Engineer-In-Training supports the design of different aspects of energy industry projects from inception to completion. Assisting in the following duties under the guidance of a senior engineer:
- Assisting in the development of electrical design for a project or proposal consisting of a normal electrical system
- Assisting in the preparation of design specifications, computations and drawings
- Assisting in the design of component parts and individual equipment
- Reviewing vendor or subcontractor quotations, drawings and specifications for technical adequacy and conformance with project requirements
- Using Vista Quality Management System (QMS)
- Familiarity with energy industry facility related drawings including single line diagrams (SLD), area classifications, electrical layouts, JB wiring diagrams, motor and VFD schematics, cable schedules and EHT isometrics
- Preparing electrical load lists and routine calculations under the guidance of a senior engineer
- Exposure to ETAP or SKM electrical engineering software
- Awareness of CEC codes, standards and approved codes of practice
- Performing other duties as requested
- Zero to five years of progressive experience in facilities engineering and design in the energy industry
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in engineering or applied science
- Ability to work and collaborate within a multi-disciplinary team including Process, Mechanical, Civil, Structural & Architectural, Electrical, Instrumentation & Controls and Piping Engineers and Designers as well as Project Management and Procurement personnel
- Registered as an EIT with APEGA
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, technical competence and attention to detail
- Self-motivated and efficient with time management
- Awareness of applicable codes and industry standards
- Ability to meet safety requirements to attend site visits
Some experience in an EIT capacity, ideally in the energy industry.
Why People Like Working with Us
Working with Vista is a chance to contribute to the type of challenging municipal and industrial projects that the world requires. If that doesn’t excite you, this role likely won’t be a fit.
Challenging projects require focus and we enable our people to do their best work with modernized project systems that are based on our leading use of intelligent data-centric execution architecture. Our staff and clients like that it gives them real-time access to validated data shared across all project departments. This fosters project design and business decisions based on a single, authoritative source of truth and provides increased transparency and collaboration with team members and clients, leading to improved engineering quality and a product we can all take pride in.
What We Offer
An opportunity with Vista is not just a job; it is a chance to tackle challenging projects with colleagues who are among the most recognized and accomplished in their disciplines.
Vista offers all employees
- A stimulating, fast-paced and challenging work environment where you will contribute to the interesting municipal and industrial engineering projects
- A robust and consistent recruitment process that ensures your colleagues are likeminded and comparably capable
- An opportunity to be a part of an entrepreneurial, technically skilled team which has established leadership in innovative engineering solutions
- A strong value-based philosophy that provides an informal, close-knit team environment, where you and your family feel like a part of our organization, and not just an employee number
- Competitive compensation and benefits, including a performance-linked variable pay program
- Company-sponsored social events and team sports
- Flexible work schedules, half-day Fridays and free parking
- An organization that values and encourages diversity
How to Apply
Note: As part of the interview process there will be a technical testing component that will take up to two hours and can be completed at home on your own timeline. Candidates may be required to complete a security clearance procedure prior to receiving an offer.