Project Controls Program Lead
What Vista Does
Vista Projects is an integrated industrial engineering firm that helps clients navigate the digital transformation of their projects and operations. Our proven project execution process is based on a “single source of truth” model that eliminates the potential for inefficient engineering designs, cost overruns and project completion delays.
Why We Do It
We believe the world needs industrial projects and that intelligent engineering data can increase the likelihood of innovative solutions getting to market. Over the years, our multi-discipline teams have conceptualized and designed some of the most challenging and successful industrial processing projects in the North American energy sector. Vista has established itself as a trusted industrial engineering partner for all types of projects, from conceptual studies and pilots to large-scale commercial expansions.
Where We Work
The benefits of our approach apply to new asset developments and brownfield optimization projects across several industrial markets. This includes biofuels and produced water treatment to natural gas and petrochemical processing. We headquartered in Calgary and maintain a satellite office in Houston.
What You Would Do in This Role
The Project Controls Program Lead reports to the Corporate Project Controls Lead and is responsible for managing project controls deliverables on multiple projects and providing mentoring and training to a team of project controls schedulers, planners and estimators. The lead will be accountable for liaising with the client, engineering disciplines and providing guidance to the team. Duties include:
- Holding meetings with project managers, estimators and engineers to review and adjust preliminary schedules for initial distribution
- Running and participating in interactive planning sessions
- Analyzing schedule changes for impact on project
- Reporting on impacts, critical areas and possible courses of action to maintain baseline schedule
- Analyzing and reporting on schedule risks
- Integrating risk management outputs in schedule review and mitigation planning
- Resource load scheduling
- Providing two-week schedule look-aheads, reminding disciplines of deliverables that are due in one week and report to the PM/PE on the status of the deliverables on the due date
- Identifying trends or scope changes and advise the PE’s and project controls
- Cost reporting, earned value, change management
- Cash flow development and reporting
- Forecasting risk assessment requirements
- Providing budget development support
- Performing ad-hoc project analysis and support
- Liaising between client management team and engineering
- Maintaining Primavera templates and scheduling standards
- Creating preliminary schedule from historical data, document links and assumptions, using Primavera software
- Adjusting and reviewing schedules with project personnel and publishing baseline schedules
- Progressing and updating the schedule bi-weekly with input from disciplines
- Periodically reviewing departmental process, procedures and standards, identifying areas of improvement, deficiencies and taking the necessary corrective action to maintain quality.
- Planning, scheduling and managing responsibilities, objectives and project milestones for the team
- Managing the performance of the team, including mentoring and coaching direct reports
- Providing input to, and participating in, Human Resources activities, including recruitment, terminations and discipline
- Performing other duties as requested
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Ability to meet safety requirements to attend site visits
- Ten years of planning and scheduling and/or cost control experience
- Several years of leadership or management experience
- Exceptional Primavera skills
- Strong MS Excel skills for analysis and reporting
- Focus on quality with strong attention to detail, while being able to maintain a “whole project” perspective
- Strong communication and influencing skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to manage, motivate and mentor
- Field and construction planning experience
- Graduate degree in a related field
Why People Like Working with Us
Working with Vista is a chance to contribute to the type of challenging municipal and industrial projects that the world requires. If that doesn’t excite you, this role likely won’t be a fit.
Challenging projects require focus and we enable our people to do their best work with modernized project systems that are based on our leading use of intelligent data-centric execution architecture. Our staff and clients like that it gives them real-time access to validated data shared across all project departments. This fosters project design and business decisions based on a single, authoritative source of truth and provides increased transparency and collaboration with team members and clients, leading to improved engineering quality and a product we can all take pride in.
What We Offer
An opportunity with Vista is not just a job; it is a chance to tackle challenging projects with colleagues who are among the most recognized and accomplished in their disciplines.
Vista offers all employees
- A stimulating, fast-paced and challenging work environment where you will contribute to the interesting municipal and industrial engineering projects
- A robust and consistent recruitment process that ensures your colleagues are likeminded and comparably capable
- An opportunity to be a part of an entrepreneurial, technically skilled team which has established leadership in innovative engineering solutions
- A strong value-based philosophy that provides an informal, close-knit team environment, where you and your family feel like a part of our organization, and not just an employee number
- Competitive compensation and benefits, including a performance-linked variable pay program
- Company-sponsored social events and team sports
- Flexible work schedules, half-day Fridays and free parking
- An organization that values and encourages diversity
How to Apply
Note: As part of the interview process there will be a technical testing component that will take up to two hours and can be completed at home on your own timeline. Candidates may be required to complete a security clearance procedure prior to receiving an offer.