Senior Piping Designer
What Vista Does
Vista Projects is an integrated industrial engineering firm that helps clients navigate the digital transformation of their projects and operations. Our proven project execution process is based on a “single source of truth” model that eliminates the potential for inefficient engineering designs, cost overruns and project completion delays.
Why We Do It
We believe the world needs industrial projects and that intelligent engineering data can increase the likelihood of innovative solutions getting to market. Over the years, our multi-discipline teams have conceptualized and designed some of the most challenging and successful industrial processing projects in the North American energy sector. Vista has established itself as a trusted industrial engineering partner for all types of projects, from conceptual studies and pilots to large-scale commercial expansions.
Where We Work
The benefits of our approach apply to new asset developments and brownfield optimization projects across several industrial markets. This includes biofuels and produced water treatment to natural gas and petrochemical processing. We headquartered in Calgary and maintain a satellite office in Houston.
What You Would Do in This Role
The Senior Designer prepares complicated drawings and charts in piping. The Senior Piping Designer also independently completes the design of different aspects of energy industry related projects from inception to completion. Duties include:
- Preparing layouts, calculations and designs related to the most complicated elements of projects
- Special development in ERM
- Designing and detailing complicated new components from previous designs based on engineering instructions, government and regulatory codes and client standards
- Producing drawings in a complicated field with minimum technical guidance
- Coordinating complicated work between field and office
- Assisting site during construction
- Assisting with engineering feasibility and cost studies
- Reporting progress of work assignments to immediate supervisor
- Checking the work and assisting in the training of less experienced drafting and design personnel
- Ensuring all drawings and materials are in accordance with Vista and client specifications and standards
- Making general recommendations on the utilization of new drafting/design techniques, normally within an area of specialization
- Analyzing design elements for potential trends, technical feasibility, client or contractual requirements including identification of deviations in job scope and estimation of changes
- Supporting the preparation of design estimates, schedules and staffing requirements
- Developing 3D models for complex systems with little guidance from the Design Lead
- Interfacing with other engineering disciplines to incorporate design elements and vendor data such as equipment location, piping routing, structural steel, foundations, cable trays, inline instrumentation, offline instruments and panels
- With guidance from the Design Lead, facilitating model reviews for process areas and document minutes for follow up
- Preparing and checking isometrics, general arrangements, MTOs, plot plans, key plans and equipment location plans
- Performing other duties as requested
- Eight years of progressive experience in facilities engineering and design in the energy industry
- Technical school certification / degree or equivalent experience.
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team including process, mechanical, civil, structural & architectural, electrical, instrumentation & controls and piping
- Advanced computer skills and experience with major drafting and design software such as AutoCAD, CADWorx, SmartPlant, AutoPLANT, PLANT 3D, AVEVA and PDMS
- Extensive knowledge of applicable government regulations and regulatory codes
- Excellent communication skills (interpersonal and written) and proven ability to collaborate with team members in a multi-discipline environment
- Strong organizational skills, technical competence and attention to detail
- Ability to meet safety requirements to attend site visits
- Ten years of experience in a designer capacity, ideally with a focus on the energy industry
Why People Like Working with Us
Working with Vista is a chance to contribute to the type of challenging municipal and industrial projects that the world requires. If that doesn’t excite you, this role likely won’t be a fit.
Challenging projects require focus and we enable our people to do their best work with modernized project systems that are based on our leading use of intelligent data-centric execution architecture. Our staff and clients like that it gives them real-time access to validated data shared across all project departments. This fosters project design and business decisions based on a single, authoritative source of truth and provides increased transparency and collaboration with team members and clients, leading to improved engineering quality and a product we can all take pride in.
What We Offer
An opportunity with Vista is not just a job; it is a chance to tackle challenging projects with colleagues who are among the most recognized and accomplished in their disciplines.
Vista offers all employees
- A stimulating, fast-paced and challenging work environment where you will contribute to the interesting municipal and industrial engineering projects
- A robust and consistent recruitment process that ensures your colleagues are likeminded and comparably capable
- An opportunity to be a part of an entrepreneurial, technically skilled team which has established leadership in innovative engineering solutions
- A strong value-based philosophy that provides an informal, close-knit team environment, where you and your family feel like a part of our organization, and not just an employee number
- Competitive compensation and benefits, including a performance-linked variable pay program
- Company-sponsored social events and team sports
- Flexible work schedules, half-day Fridays and free parking
- An organization that values and encourages diversity
How to Apply
- Note: As part of the interview process there will be a technical testing component that will take up to two hours and can be completed at home on your own timeline. Candidates may be required to complete a security clearance procedure prior to receiving an offer.